文/佚 名 譯/思 晴
不知道各位有沒有這樣的感覺,學習一種語言,隨著對它的深入理解,你會慢慢地跳過語言本身的條條框框,轉而對它背后的文化產生興趣。不知道你有沒有興趣和我一起仔細讀讀下面的句子?在英文原句和中文譯文之間所傳遞的,除了語言點本身,還時常反射出兩種文化的異同點,希望你無論看哪種文字的版本,都可以有所體悟……
1. Give people more than they expect and do it cheerfully①.
給予別人的遠遠超出他們的期許值,并滿心歡喜地去做。
2.Don't believe all you hear, spend all you have, or sleep all you want.
不要輕信你聽到的每件事,不要花光你的所有,不要想睡多久就睡多久。
3.When you say,“I love you”, mean it②.
無論何時說“我愛你”,請真心實意地去表達。
4.When you say,“I'm sorry”, look the person in the eye.
無論何時說“對不起”,請認真地望向對方的眼睛,讓對方看到你的誠意。
5.Believe in love at the first sight③.
相信一見鐘情。
6.Never laugh at④ anyone's dreams.
不要嘲笑他人的夢想。
7.Love deeply and passionately⑤. You might get hurt but it's the only way to live life completely.
深情熱烈地愛,也許你會受傷,但這是使你的人生完整的唯一方式。
8.In disagreements, fight fairly. No name-calling⑥.
用一種公平磊落的方法解決爭議,不要冒犯。
9.Talk slowly but think quickly.
話要慢慢來講,但思維要保持敏捷。
10.When you lose, don't lose the lesson.
失敗了,不要連同教訓一起失去(別忘了汲取教訓)。
11.Remember the three R's: Respect for self; Respect for others; Responsibility for all your actions.
記住三個“尊”:尊重自己;尊重他人;對自己的行為負責。
12.Don't let a little dispute⑦ injure⑧a great friendship.
不要讓一場小小的爭端毀掉一段偉大的友誼。
13.When you realize you've made a mistake, take immediate steps to⑨correct it.
當你發現自己犯了錯誤,一定要竭盡所能、盡快補救它。
14.Smile when picking up the phone. The caller will hear it in your voice.
打電話時,請保持微笑,因為對方能從你的聲音里感覺到你的快樂。
15.Spend some time alone.
找點時間,獨自呆會兒。
16.Open your arms to change but don't let go of your values.
坦然接受改變,但不要摒棄你的個人理念。
17.Read more books and watch less TV.
多讀書,少看電視。
18. Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll get to enjoy it a second time⑩.
過一種高尚而誠實的生活。當年老時回想起過去,你就能再一次享受人生。
19. Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.
每年至少去一個你從沒去過的地方。
20. Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a stroke of luck.
記住,有時沒有得到你想要的,往往也是一種幸運。
21. Remember that the best relationship is the one where your love for each other is greater than your need for each other.
記住:最良性的關系在于對別人的愛多于對別人的索求。
22. In love and cooking, you must give 100% effort... but expect little appreciation.
無論是烹飪還是愛情,都用百分之百的負責態度對待,但是不要乞求太多的回報。
23. Remember what life tells you.
熟記生活告訴你的一切。
24. When someone sneezes, say“bless you”.
當別人打噴嚏時,說一聲“上帝保佑”。
25.Try your best to let family harmony flow smoothly.
盡你的能力讓家平順和諧。
26. When you quarrel with a close friend, talk about the main dish, don't quibble over the appetizers.
當你和親近的朋友吵嘴時,試著就事論事,不要扯出那些陳芝麻、爛谷子的事。
27. You cannot hold onto yesterday.
不要擺脫不了昨天。
28. Figure out the meaning of someone's words.
多注意別人言下之意。
29. Share your knowledge to continue a timeless tradition.
和別人分享你的知識,那才是永恒之道。
30. Treat our earth in a friendly way, don't fool around with mother nature.
善待我們的地球,不要愚弄自然母親。
31. Do the thing you should do.
做自己該做的事。
32.Understand rules completely and change them reasonably.
深刻理解所有的規則,合理地更新它們。
33. Comment on the success you have attained by looking in the past at the target you wanted to achieve most.
回頭看看你發誓取得的目標,然后評價你到底有多成功。
細節鏈接
① cheerfully:(ad.)高高興興地。
② mean it:在這里相當于seriously(認真地)。此外,當mean一詞用作形容詞來形容動物時,還有“兇猛、兇巴巴”的意思,如:It's a mean dog.(這是一只兇狠的狗。)當這個單詞用來形容人時,則表示“小氣、吝嗇、刻薄”之意。比如:Why are you so mean to me? (你怎么對我如此刻薄?)
③love at the first sight:一見鐘情。love at the second sight就是電視節目中經常提到的“二見鐘情”了吧!
④ laugh at:譏笑、嘲笑。
⑤ passionately:(ad.)熱烈地,熱情地。
⑥ name-calling:(n.)罵人。
⑦ dispute:(n.)爭論,辯論。
⑧ injure:在這里相當于destroy(毀壞、毀掉)。
⑨ take immediate steps to do sth.:盡快做某事。
⑩ a second time:再一次、又一次。
talk about the main dish:就事論事。